English & Languages
Our curriculum is ambitious, balanced and broad. It consists of all the activities designed or encouraged in school to develop the intellectual, personal, social and physical activities in the children.
At Busbridge Infant School, our English curriculum is designed with the intention to equip all children with a strong command of the spoken and written word. We aspire to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment and knowledge and ensure they develop the cultural capital needed to excel in the future. We provide an environment that is rich in language in order to immerse the children in the sounds and words that will form part of their written and spoken communication.
Our comprehensive English curriculum follows the aims and objectives of the 2014 National Curriculum, augmented by our wonderful library and a diverse range of wider activities and events.
Our English curriculum intends to equip all children with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment and knowledge. It ensures that all children:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- Develop a habit of reading widely and often, for pleasure and information
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, a good understanding of grammar and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- Use discussion in order to learn
- Develop skills in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.